Sometimes you may encounter audio issues while using Kraken. These issues may occur when games or applications such as Skype cannot use the Razer microphone. It is usually triggered when you fail to select Kraken as the default audio device. Or, you probably installed the wrong drivers on your device. However, you can fix this issue by performing some operations on your device. This guide will review what this issue is, its causes, and possible solutions for it.
- 1 What Causes this Razer Cracken Mic Not Working Issue?
- 2 Other Issues You May Encounter
- 3 Conclusion
What Causes this Razer Cracken Mic Not Working Issue?
There are a few reasons why you could be encountering this issue. They include the following:
- You installed the wrong driver.
- You did not select Kraken as the default audio device.
How to Fix Razer Cracken Mic Not Working Issue
There are if you operations for you to fix this issue. But before moving to the more drastic solutions, you need to check if you things first.
It may sound silly, but your Razer Kraken headset microphone may not be working well because you muted it. Usually, this occurs when you mistakenly turn on the mute button on your headset. You should check the mute button to make sure that it is not on.
Check your sound settings.
You should make sure your Razer Kraken headset mic is enabled and set to the default mic on your Windows computer.
- Step 1: Press the Win + R keys simultaneously on your keyboard to open a Run dialogue box. And then enter “mmsys.cpl“ in the dialogue box.
- Step 2: Click on the Recording tab.
- Step 3: Make sure that your headset microphone is enabled. Right-click on it and click on Enable.
- Step 4: Make sure that your headset microphone is set to the default microphone. Right-click on it and choose Set as Default Device.
- Step 5: Click on OK and check if you can use your Razer Kraken mic now.
If you cannot fix this issue after performing these operations, you need to carry on with the solutions below.
Solution 1: – Rollback Realtek High Definition Audio
Realtek provides audio solutions to major computer manufacturers and is renowned for producing great audio devices. However, sometimes you may notice that the audio device’s latest drivers caused this Kraken mic not working issue. When this happens, you should try rolling back the driver and check if this does the trick for you.
- Step 1: – Press Windows logo key + R simultaneously. This operation opens up a Run dialogue box.
- Step 2: – Now, type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialogue box and press the Enter button on your keyboard.
- Step 3:- Once in the device manager, expand the “Audio inputs and outputs” category and click Realtek Digitial Output and select“Properties.”
- Step 4: – Once the properties are opened, click on the “Driver” tab and select Roll Back Driver if visible. If it is, it means that the driver was updated, and this may be the reason the mic is not working. If it is not greyed out, you can download another version from the internet and click on Update driver and try to update manually.
- Step 5: – When you finish updating the driver, restart your computer, and check if the problem got solved.
- Step 6: – If this method doesn’t work, you can go to the same category in device manager, right-click on your Kraken headset and select “Uninstall.” This operation will uninstall the headphones entirely from your system. Now you need to disconnect the headphones and plug them back in and reinstall the drivers.
If rolling back Realtek high definition audio did not fix the issue, you need to move down to the next potential fix below.
I have seen cases where software released by the same manufacturer causes conflicts with the product. It usually happens after you installed an update to Windows on your computer. When this happens, you can try fixing it by uninstalling the software.
- Step 1: – Press the Windows logo key + R simultaneously to open up a Run dialogue box.
- Step 2: – Type “appwiz.cpl” in the dialogue box and press Enter. Here, you will see a list of all the applications installed on your computer. Right-click on all the Razer software and uninstall them one after another.
- Step 3: – When you have finished uninstalling all software, restart your computer and check if you have solved the problem. Particular software that may be causing problems is Razer Synapse.
If uninstalling all Razer related software did not fix the issue, you need to move down to the next potential fix below.
Solution 3: – Check if the correct mic is active.
I have also seen cases where the problem happened because you did not select the correct mic as the current mic device on your computer. When there are multiple mics available, the operating system might choose another mic as the default. You need to check the properties of the headset to make sure that they are set correctly.
- Step 1: – Right-click on the “sound” icon. You will see it at your taskbar. Click on “Properties.”
- Step 2: – Now click on the “recording” tab. You will see a list of all the recording devices on your computer. Choose Razer Kraken from the list of options, right-click on it, and set it as the default device. Once you finish, disable all the other microphones from your computer.
- Step 3: – Press Apply to save changes. Now, you need to right-click on the microphone and click on “Properties.”
- Step 4: – Go to the Advanced tab and choose the lowest default format available. It may be “2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality).”
- Step 5: – After making all the changes, restart your computer, reconnect the headsets, and check if you have fixed the problem.
If making sure that the correct mic is active did not fix the issue, you need to move down to the next potential fix below.
Solution 4: – Run the application in an elevated mode
Window’s user access control also has its share of glitches and bugs. Before you start diagnosing hardware issues, you need to try running the application in administrator mode. This operation will give the application access to all the hardware that is connected.
- Step 1: – Go to the directory of the application. In the case of steam, the directory will look something like the following.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Comedy Night
- Step 2: – Now click on the Compatibility tab and check the line Run this program as an administrator.
- Step 3: – Press Apply to save changes and exit. Restart your computer, re-plug your headphones, and see if you can access the mic.
If running the application in elevated mode did not fix the issue, you need to move down to the next potential fix below.
Solution 5: – Check Ports and Hardware
If you tried all the above solutions and they failed, it means that it may be a hardware fault. You need to check your ports and mic’s jacks. You can try fixing this issue by plugging the jack to some other audio ports. Also, make sure that the jack is in working condition.
In addition to that, you can remove the USB part and replace it with a cord that has audio jacks. It will ensure that all the hardware is working as expected, and there are no problems involved.
If you are using a Windows 10 PC, you need to check the microphone settings for your apps.
You should allow your apps to access your Razer Kraken mic to use the mic on your Windows 10 computer.
- Step 1: – Press the Windows logo key + I key simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Step 2: – Click on Privacy.
- Step 3: – Click on the Microphone.
- Step 4: – Ensure that you have allowed apps to access your microphone. Also, make sure the apps you want to use with your headset microphone have access to it.
- Step 5: – Now, check your app and see if you can hear sound from your headset mic on the app.
If all the solutions above did not work, you could try selecting the Appropriate Microphone in the Realtek Audio Manager. Sometimes, the microphone may notice that you did not properly select in the Realtek Audio Manager. When this happens, you should select it as the microphone by following the steps below.
- Step 1: – Open up the Realtek Audio Manager and click on the “Microphone” tab.
- Step 2: – In the Microphone tab, click on the dropdown and select your microphone from the list.
- Step 3: – Save your changes and check to see if you have resolved the issue.
In addition to this, you need to open the application’s settings and check if you selected the correct mic there. Also, you can try connecting the Headphones without a splitter to see if that resolves the issue.
Other Issues You May Encounter
You may encounter a scenario where Razer Kraken is not showing up in Synapse. If Synapse 2.0 is not detecting the Razer device, it could be due to a software or a hardware issue. It could also be caused by not using the version of Razer Synapse that your device supports.
The problem can be resolved by the following steps below:
- Step 1: – You need to check if your Razer device is supported by Synapse 2 (whether PC or Mac OSX). Be sure that the device is properly plugged in and connected directly to the computer and not through a USB hub.
- Step 2: – You need to check for Synapse 2.0 update. If there is an available update, install it and then restart your computer. If the issue continues, try a different USB port to check if this is caused by a defective USB port.
- Step 3: – Get rid of the old drivers from the Device Manager. On your “Desktop,” right-click the “Windows” icon and choose “Device manager.” On the top menu, click on View and select “Show hidden devices.”
- Step 4: – Expand “Audio inputs and outputs,” “Human Interface Devices,” “Keyboards,” or “Mice and other pointing devices,” and select all unused drivers.
- Step 5: – Uninstall the drivers of the Razer product by right-clicking on the product name and click “Uninstall device” and restart your PC.
- Step 6: – Try testing your device on a different computer.
- Step 7: – If the issue is still there, clean reinstall your Synapse 2.0.
Sometimes you may need to reinstall the Razer Kraken Drivers to fix Razer mic issues. If you cannot roll back the Realtek driver, try reinstalling the Razer Kraken driver instead.
- Step 1: – To reinstall the headphones’ driver, open the Device Manager window.
- Step 2: – Expand the Audio inputs and outputs device category.
- Step 3: – Then right-click your Kraken headphones and select Uninstall device.
- Step 4: – Press the Uninstall button on the dialog box window that opens.
- Step 5: – Then shut down Windows, and restart your desktop or laptop with the Kraken headphones connected. That will reinstall the Razer Kraken driver.
If all the above solutions did not fix your Razer Kraken microphone, you might need to repair your hardware. You can return your Razer headphones to the manufacturer to repair or replace the headset within a warranty period. Razer headsets have a one-year warranty support period.
Razer Kraken mic not working issue usually occurs when games or applications are unable to use the Razer microphone. You will encounter this issue when you fail to select Kraken as the default audio device. Sometimes you may need to run the application in an elevated mode to fix it. This guide has given you the necessary solutions for this problem, and I believe you can now fix it.