The msvcr120.dll file is an important file for the Windows OS, used for extracting resources for third-party applications. This file has a connection with the C++ programming language. When it is missing, programs that are running in the C++ language will not launch successfully. However, you can fix this problem with some operations. This guide will review what this problem is, its causes, and possible solutions for it.
- 1 What is this ‘msvcr120.dll is missing’ issue?
- 2 Why is msvcr120.dll File Missing?
- 3 Solutions to Fix the ‘msvcr120.dll is missing’ issue in Windows.
- 4 MSVCR120.dll download Microsoft
- 5 How to select the correct version of Msvcr120.dll?
- 6 Where to put the Msvcr120.dll file?
- 7 Conclusion
What is this ‘msvcr120.dll is missing’ issue?
The most commonly occurring error messages are: The program can’t start because msvcr120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. There was a problem starting msvcr120.dll. The specified module could not be found.
Error loading msvcr120.dll. The specified module could not be found. The code execution cannot proceed because msvcr120.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem. Either msvcr120.dll is not designed to run on Windows, or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.
Why is msvcr120.dll File Missing?
Errors related to msvcr120.dll can arise for a few different reasons. For instance, Faulty application: – You may encounter this issue due to some corrupt software or faulty application in your system. If this is your case, try identifying those apps and delete them.
The msvcr120.dll file has been deleted or misplaced: – You may also encounter this issue due to some corrupt software or files in your system. If this is your case, you should be able to fix it by replacing the missing file. To do this, you need to reinstall the C++ redistributable packages. Do not download .dll files from unofficial websites.
There are corrupted by malicious software present on your PC: – You may encounter this issue due to some corrupt software or files in your system. If this is your case, you can fix it by performing an SFC scan on your system. The System File Checker is a handy tool for diagnosing problems and checking if any issue is due to corrupt files in windows. Damaged Windows registry. Nonetheless, whatever the case may be, once you encounter this ‘msvcr120.dll is missing’ issue, you should opt for a solution to fix it immediately.
Solutions to Fix the ‘msvcr120.dll is missing’ issue in Windows.
There are various solutions to this issue. I have found out that reinstalling the C++ redistributable packages worked for some users who had this problem. You need to start with the first solution in this guide and work your way down. After performing all the solutions, you should try rerunning the application. If you could not fix the problem, try reinstalling the app. The solutions below work for almost all versions of Windows.
You can reinstall a program by going through the following steps:
- Step 1: – Press the Windows logo key + R simultaneously. This operation will open a Run dialog box.
- Step 2: – Now, in the Run dialog box, type “appwiz.cpl” and press the Enter button on your keyboard.
- Step 3: – A new window will appear with a list of all the applications currently installed on your PC. Right-click on the application and click on “uninstall”.
- Step 4: – Now, restart your PC before reinstalling the program.
Solution 1 – Run System File Checker
All Microsoft Windows operating system has the System File Checker (SFC) utility. This utility allows the users to scan their PCs for corrupt files in their operating system.
It is a tool that has been in Microsoft Windows since Windows 98. The System File Checker is a very useful tool for diagnosing problems and checking if any issue is due to corrupt files in windows. You should try running SFC and check if your issue gets solved. Most times, you will receive one of the three replies when running SFC.
Windows didn’t find any integrity violations.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some or all of them.
- Step 1: – Press the Windows logo key + R simultaneously. This operation will open the Run application.
- Step 2: – Type “taskmgr” in the Run dialog box and hit the Enter button on your keyboard. This operation will open up your computer’s task manager.
- Now, click on the File option. You will find it at the top left side of the window. Click on “Run new task” from the list of options that are there.
- Step 3: – Now type in “powershell” in the dialog box. Make sure you check the option that says “Create this task with administrative privileges”.
- In the Windows Powershell, type “sfc /scannow” and hit the Enter button on your keyboard. This process takes time because your entire Windows files will be scanned by the computer and also checked for corrupt phases.
Suppose you face an error where Windows states that it found some error but was unable to fix them. Your next move should type “sfc /verifyonly”. When you finish, wait for the process to complete fully.
If you are still unable to repair the corrupt files, run the command “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” in the PowerShell. This will download the corrupt files from the Windows update servers and replace the corrupt ones. You should know that this process can also take some time according to your internet connection. Do not cancel at any stage and allow it to run.
If an error was detected and was solced using the methods above, restart your PC and reinstall the app. Once you are done, check if the app is now launching correctly.
Solution 2 – Download MySQL Installer Community
You may encounter problems when running various MySQL applications like MySQL Workbench and so on. It is advisable that you install MySQL Installer Community on your computer. This is a tool that will help you detect whether your system lacks some Visual Studio components. Also, this tool will probably open a Visual Studio minimal components installer and fill in the gaps. Ensure that you always download the app from the official MySQL website.
Solution 3 – Reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
The msvcr120.dll is an important file for the Windows Operating System. When the msvcr120.dll is missing, you will not be able to launch games and apps run in the C++ language. To replace the missing file, you can download the entire redistributable package and install it. You should always avoid downloading .dll files from the internet from unofficial websites. These files may be infected with virus and malware and can infect your PC easily.
- Step 1: – Go to the official Microsoft downloading.
- Step 2: – Click on the Download button after choosing the language.
- Step 3: – Choose “vredist_x64.exe” and hit the Next button. Once you are done, the download will start. Once complete, save the file in a conveyable location and then run the exe file.
- Step 4: – Once the installation is complete, restart your PC and check if you have solved the problem.
If you have a 64 bit Windows system, you can install both vredist_x64.exe and vredist_x86.exe. But, if you have a 32 bit, you have to install only “vredist_x86.exe”.
Solution 4 – Scanning for Virus
I have found that .dll files are one of the most famous hosts for malware and viruses to invade your computer. Once you suspect that your computer is infected, you need to scan it as soon as possible to get rid of malware or virus. Use the antivirus that is currently installed on your computer. If you do not have one, you can easily use Windows Defender.
- Step 1: – Press the Windows logo key + S simultaneously. This operation will launch the start menu’s search bar. Type in “Windows Defender” and click on the first result which comes forth.
- Step 2: – At the right side of the screen, you will see a scan option. Click on full scan.
- Step 3: – Click on Scan This process might take some time as Windows scans all of your computer’s files one after another. Wait for the process to finish accordingly.
- Step 4: – If there is any malware on your system, allow the utility to remove them and restart your PC before opening the app again.
You can as well run the Microsoft safety scanner. This scanner has the latest virus definitions. You can use it to scan and get rid of malware on your system.
Solution 5 – Installing both VC Redist Packages
Sometimes, you may need to reinstall all of your VC Redist packages and then install both the 64-bit version and the 32-bit of the software for it to work correctly. Hence, in this solution, you need to uninstall older VC Redist installations first and then reinstall all VC Redist packages. To do this, you can simply follow the steps below:
- Step 1: – Press the “Windows logo key” + “R” simultaneously. This operation will open the Run dialog box.
- Step 2: – Type in “appwiz.cpl” in the dialog box and hit the “Enter” button on your keyboard. This operation will open the app management window. In this window, type appwiz.cpl and press the Enter button on your keyboard to open Installed Programs List.
- Step 3: – Inside the app management window, navigate and right-click on the Visual C++ Redistributable application.
- Step 4: – Click on “Uninstall” from the list that comes forth and then follow the on-screen guide to remove the software from your PC. Repeat this step for every installation of the software.
- Step 5: – Now, you need to visit the Microsoft website and download the installations below one after another.
- Step 6: – Once you are done downloading all of these, install them on your system one after another by executing the setup files.
- Step 7: – Once you are done installing these packages, check to see if you have fixed the issue.
MSVCR120.dll download Microsoft
Look for available versions of msvcr120.dll and download the correct file. Make sure you download the one that is compatible with your system
How to select the correct version of Msvcr120.dll?
This first thing you need to do is go through the descriptions, select the correct file for your program. Check whether it is a 64-, or 32-bit file. Also, you should check the language it uses. It is important to choose the dll files with language that corresponds to the language of your program. You can as well consider downloading the newest versions of dll files for a functionality that is up to date.
Where to put the Msvcr120.dll file?
If you want to fix the “msvcr120.dll is missing” error, you need to put the file in the application or game installation folder. Or, you as well place the msvcr120.dll file in the Windows system directory.
The ‘msvcr120.dll is missing’ issue is not new to many Windows users. This error often occurs when you are trying to launch programs that are in the C++ programming language. Sometimes, you might be able to fix it by scanning for the virus. In this guide, I have given you the solutions to help you resolve this error. Now it is your turn to perform these solutions and fix it.